Burton Office


Houston Office


Green Cards

Houston Green Card Lawyer Handles Family- and Work-related Cases

Respected Texas attorney helps clients seek U.S. legal permanent residence

To make the United States your permanent home without breaking the law, you will need to obtain a green card from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Anne E. Kennedy, Attorney at Law in Houston prepares and files green card petitions for all types of applicants, including skilled workers and investors, as well as refugees and asylum seekers. With a dedicated focus on immigration law and family law, Anne also helps U.S. citizens and green card holders sponsor the permanent resident petitions of spouses, children, parents and siblings.

What is a green card and how can I get one?

A green card, or permanent resident card, gives someone the right to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. It does not provide U.S. citizenship.

Here are some of the most common eligibility categories  for people seeking green cards:

  • Family — The United States accepts green card applications from the spouses, children and parents of U.S. citizens and permanent residents. A fiancé or widower of a U.S. citizen can also apply for permission to live and work in the United States. Immediate family members of U.S. citizens are given preference over immediate family members of permanent residents. Siblings of U.S. citizens are given lower priority.
  • Employment — Green cards that are granted according to employment are based on a hierarchy that accounts for an individual’s skills and experience. Examples include preferences for professionals and artists with extraordinary or exceptional ability in their field, and physicians who will work in full-time positions in underserved areas. Other skilled workers, unskilled workers and professionals are given lower preference.
  • Investment — The EB-5 immigrant status is for a person who makes a significant investment in the U.S. economy. Typically, the investor must create a new commercial enterprise that adds at least 10 full-time jobs to the work force.
  • Refugee and asylum status — People who have suffered certain forms of persecution in their home country may apply for refugee status or asylum in the United States. Refugee and asylum status can also be granted to people who have a credible fear of persecution in their home country due to their race, religion, nationality, membership with a particular social group or political opinion. Preference is given to individuals from certain regions of the world.

Fitting into one of the above categories does not mean that you are automatically eligible to receive a green card. You may be better suited to a different immigrant classification or qualify for a visa that allows you to live and work in the United States temporarily. Speak to a qualified immigration attorney to discuss which options are best for you.

What is the green card application process?

The application process is different for each type of green card. Family-based green cards and some employment-based green cards require the applicant to be sponsored by a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. The investment-based green card and other employment-based green cards do not require the applicant to be sponsored by another person.

All green card applicants must submit Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status, and pay the associated fee. Form I-485 requires your personal information, employment history, recent immigration history and other information. You may need to submit extra forms and fees specific to the type of green card you seek.

Before spending time and money applying for a green card, you should get the information you need about eligibility. If you are authorized to establish lawful permanent residency, Anne will review your case and help you prepare an application for the status that fits your circumstances and goals.

Contact an experienced Houston, TX green card attorney to schedule your consultation

Anne E. Kennedy, Attorney at Law in Houston, Texas assists clients with preparing and filing green card petitions. To schedule a consultation with Anne, call 713-862-8110 or contact us online.

Contact Us


Maps & Directions