Burton Office


Houston Office


Grandparents rights

Houston Grandparents’ Rights Firm Looks to Bring Loved Ones Together

Accomplished Texas firm advise clients seeking visitation with their grandchildren   

Problems that drive mothers and fathers apart often threaten the grandparent-grandchild relationship as well. If you’re a grandmother or grandfather who has not been able to see your grandchild because your son or daughter no longer shares the same home, there might be a legal solution. Our firm, Anne E. Kennedy Attorney at Law, has represented Texans in family law matters since 2002. From our offices in Houston and Brenham, we can explain what factors must exist for a court to grant a grandparent visitation or custody rights. If you choose to seek relief from the court, our firm will pursue a result that allows you to remain a positive force in your grandchild’s life.

Thorough advocates explain when grandparents might be granted access

Disagreements between a young person’s parent and grandparents can be extremely emotional for everyone involved. By consulting with an experienced Texas family law attorney, you can make a well-informed decision with confidence as we assist you with:

  • Eligibility — Generally, parents have the legal authority to decide who can spend time with their minor sons and daughters. However, when one parent has died or been incarcerated, or when the parents have divorced, grandparents who have not been able to see their grandchildren can petition the court for visitation rights. They can also do so if parental rights have been terminated, the child has been abused or the child has lived with the grandparents for least six months. 
  • Common disputes — If your grandchild is living with your son or daughter’s former partner, it is possible that comments made by that parent could be turning the child against you. We review the circumstances thoroughly when possible alienation exists and also advise on other common disputes that arise, such as disagreements over how the child should be raised and conflicts over relocation. 
  • Conservatorship — It can be very difficult to acknowledge that a young person’s parents are no longer capable of providing proper care. Frequently in these cases, grandparents pick up the responsibility to provide a safe, loving environment. In a Suit Affecting a Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR), our attorneys provide a detailed account of why grandparents should be given legal responsibility, known as conservatorship under Texas law, for the child. By working closely with clients, we deliver well-supported arguments regarding the young person’s physical, emotional, social and educational needs. 

As in other decisions pertaining to the protection and upbringing of young people, judges decide grandparent visitation and custody matters based on what is in the best interests of the child. Our background representing clients in family law cases helps us to present an effective case as to what is best for the young person and shows that failing to grant the relief requested by the grandparents would harm the grandchild. 

Contact a Houston grandparent rights attorney to arrange a free consultation

Anne E. Kennedy, Attorney at Law provides comprehensive counsel on matters relating to grandparent rights under Texas law. To make an appointment for a free initial consultation, please call 713-862-8110 or contact us online. Our offices are in Houston and Brenham. 

Contact Us


Maps & Directions