Burton Office


Houston Office


Child Support

Houston Child Support Lawyers Represent Texas Parents

Dedicated attorneys work to ensure children’s needs are met

Under Texas law, the amount of child support is based on the noncustodial parent’s income and the number of minor children that parent has. That might seem like a simple calculation, but sometimes people are not honest about what they are earning or there are conflicts about paying for education or other needs that a young person has. The attorneys at Anne E. Kennedy, Attorney at Law review the facts so you understand what the result would be under the state’s guidelines. From our offices in Houston and Brenham, we also advocate for parents in court matters concerning the modification and enforcement of existing court orders.

Firm advises on child support factors, modifications and enforcement

Whether you’re going through a divorce or have never been married to your partner, questions about child support can create anxiety. Our compassionate legal counselors are well equipped to answer questions such as:

Who pays child support and how much?

The parent who does not have physical custody of the child is required to send a portion of their income to their co-parent. This doesn’t just include wages but other types of income, such as unemployment benefits. A percentage is assigned based on the number of children there are to be supported. For example, if the parties share one child, the baseline child support obligation would be 20 percent of the noncustodial parent’s average monthly net resources. This rate increases with additional children.

How are child support disputes resolved?

If serious disagreement exists regarding a noncustodial party’s true income or some other issue pertaining to child support, our firm works diligently to negotiate a reasonable solution. Should that be impossible, we can address the disagreement before a neutral mediator or advocate for you in court.

When does child support end?

Child support obligations end when a son or daughter turns 18 years old If the son or daughter is older than 18 but still enrolled and attending high school, payments must be made until they graduate or stop attending school. Given the cost of higher education, parents might wish to make an arrangement regarding college expenses, health insurance coverage and other funding for the needs of young adults. 

Can child support be modified when the paying parent’s income changes?

Yes, Texas allows child support rates to be modified when a shift in income or a new child would change the monthly amount required under the state formula by at least 20 percent or $100. A review can occur three years after the entry of the original order or when a job loss, promotion or some other event occurs. You cannot make this adjustment on your own, so if you think a modification is warranted, you should consult with a qualified family law attorney promptly to get the legal process started.  

What options exist when a child support payments are not made?

When a noncustodial parent fails to send their full child support payment in a timely manner, there are several methods of enforcement available under Texas law. A court can order the garnishment of a nonpaying parent’s wages, the imposition of a property lien and/or the suspension of a driver’s or professional license. 

Contact a Texas lawyer for a free consultation on your child support issue

Anne E. Kennedy, Attorney at Law advocates on behalf of Houston-area parents in all types of Texas child support matters, including requested modifications and enforcement actions. Please call 713-862-8110 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Our firm has offices in The Heights neighborhood of Houston and Brenham. 

Contact Us


Maps & Directions